Ruins of Crèvecoeur
A site full of history.
In the medieval town of Bouvignes, a few steps from Dinant, the ruins of Crèvecoeur watch over and control the Meuse valley.
The castle of Crèvecoeur dates from 1320. The fortress underwent extensive alterations in the 14th and 15th centuries.
Crèvecœur was partially destroyed during the 1554 siege by Henry II. Despite some repairs, the fortress was finally dismantled in 1672.
The legend of the Dames de Crèvecoeur relates that, when the castle was under siege by Henri II of France, three of the officers' fiancées or wives took command of the keep to encourage the defending troops. When all resistance proved vain, the three women chose death in preference to capture, locking arms and leaping from the top of the tower.
Labels & accessibility